Sunday, January 23, 2011

Letters of Love - From Pam

We received a special e-mail this week from Pam (Fletcher) Nickerson who was one of my Mom's former Mia Maid's (part of the Young Woman's Organization in our church comprised of girls ages 14-15.) She gave me permission to share it with you because we loved it so much...

Hi Sister Rober,

I checked your blog today and I am sorry that your condition is progressing so rapidly, but happy that you are surrounded by your family and that you had a great Christmas. Lisa mentioned in one of her updates that while you know what awaits you on the other side of the veil is wonderful, you were feeling anxiety about the process of getting there. I was reading The Silver Chair from the Chronicles of Narnia to my son tonight and I read a passage and you popped into my mind, so I thought I would share it with you.

In this book Jill comes to the world of Narnia and meets Aslan on a mountain. He gives her an assignment, the signs she needs to know to fulfill her journey, and tells her that he is going to blow her from the mountain to the kingdom of Narnia. This is the end of their conversation and the beginning of her journey.

“…Remember the signs and believe the signs. Nothing else matters. And now, daughter of Eve, farewell—“

The voice had been growing softer toward the end of this speech behind her. To her astonishment she saw the cliff already more than a hundred yards behind her, and the Lion himself a speck of bright gold on the edge of it. She had been setting her teeth and clenching her fists for a terrible blast of Lion’s breath; but the breath had really been so gentle, that she had not even noticed the moment at which she left the earth. And now, there was nothing but air for thousands upon thousands of feet below her.

She felt frightened only for a second. For one thing, the world beneath her was so very far away that it seemed to have nothing to do with her. For another, floating on the breath of the Lion was so extremely comfortable.

Sister Rober, I cannot thank you enough for the difference you made as my YW leader. I believe that the Lord will pull you gently across the veil. You and your family are in my prayers.

Love,
Pam Fletcher Nickerson

This e-mail came at the perfect time. On Thursday my Mom asked us to make her more comfortable. She is ready for heavier drugs to help her sleep more and hopefully feel a little less. We let the speaking device people know that they either ship it on Friday or they can cancel our order because Hospice is coming on Monday.

So that is where we are at. Hospice comes tomorrow at 1:00. We don't really know what to expect or what measures they will take to give her more comfort. We will let you know tomorrow. Until then we are going to read this passage again and again:

She felt frightened only for a second. For one thing, the world beneath her was so very far away that it seemed to have nothing to do with her. For another, floating on the breath of the Lion was so extremely comfortable.

2 comments:

  1. I have tears in my eyes.....

    Love you all....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Caroline and Family - I'm still learning as to how this blogging business works - and apparently put my blog on a letter 3 or 4 days down and was afraid you might not get it - so here it is again - (I'll learn as practice makes perfect) - - -

    Dear Caroline and Family - I start my day by reviewing your link and hope I'm a better person for it - We're all learning more ways of appreciating the days we have through the love and concern expressed by caring people in your family, friends, and people with similar situations who've been referred to your blog - I too want Larry to read my words to you at the end of your day to let you know I'm there in spirit and prayer - with Skeeter (3 year old Irish beauty) as we take our walk up Goldenrod - down Shamrock and say our good wishes for you all as we pass your home. Even taking Lillie in reverse, we always walk your cul-de-sac and say the same good wishes prayers of comfort - Your Eaglehills - Starflower Neighbor - Georgia Smith
    January 24, 2011 7:23 AM

    ReplyDelete