Monday, January 10, 2011

Retraction

I am going to have to retract my earlier statement that we had not seen much digression in my Moms breathing. As I sat by her at church her breathing felt off to me and when we got home I examined her closely and sure enough she was retracting. Moms with asthmatic kids develop a sixth sense for retraction. Trust me, I'm a Pro!

Retraction is when the body has to use the accessory muscles to breathe. From the outside it looks like the skin sinks in at the base of the neck and also at the rib area when breathing occurs. It means the body is having to work really hard to breathe. So chances are good her numbers will not be good tomorrow. Her fasciculations have also become more pronounced and have spread to most of her upper body and can be seen almost all of the time.

Today she became too weak for the stairs. We moved her room downstairs to the family room and created a playroom in the master bedroom. Actually the Grange boys from our Church came and moved both rooms in about 5 minutes. They were amazing! They must have learned it from their amazingly hardworking babysitter growing up. Oh wait, that was me! Just kidding, well not about being their amazing babysitter...its obviously much to late for me to be updating this blog!

My Mom had a great day Thursday but since Friday morning she has been so weak its hard for her to even walk and lift her feet. She has a hard time keeping her head up and so she walks looking at the ground. Its like shes literally shrinking.

I know I don't even have to ask, but please pray for her.

4 comments:

  1. I read your posts. I pray for your mother. I found it from my friend Vivian Love. Since the day Vivian sent me the link to read the story about your Christmas dinner, I have been following along. I am an avid blogger. Just a few years younger than your mom. I grew up in Yorba Linda, and come from a close family. I don't know you, but I read your words, and they sink in like water on parched soil. I pray for all of you. Your sweet mom especially. But for your dad, and you..your siblings, the grandchildren. All of you. Know that even complete strangers are reading this, and praying daily for your family's strength. And most of all, comfort to your mom. I have hesitated to comment, as it seems there is nothing to say that will bring comfort. Just wanted you to know, that you are in my daily prayers. Your strength is inspiring. Your mom's strength is truly amazing.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline is in my thoughts and prayers--all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Diane. My daughter, Kris, told me about your blog. I want you to know that you and your entire famiy are in my everyday thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Mom, you, and the rest of your family are def. in our prayers.
    Stay strong Lisa.

    ReplyDelete