Saturday, January 22, 2011

Award of Merit

This is Larry checking in:

First I want to thank EVERYONE for all of the concern, prayers, cards, letters, blog comments and e-mails. One of my favorite times of each day is to sit with Caroline and read her cards, comments and e-mails to her. Some of these sessions require a bit of Kleenex to make it through the tender moments. We are in our seventh month of the journey. I can't say it enough that I wish everyone could have the chance to be with Caroline. Her courage, faith and attitude are amazing and go along way to making my days easier. I have told several people that I will not look back on these months as the worst of my life but just the opposite as some of the best. Don't misunderstand, I would of course rather not be in this situation but the Lord has given our family a trial and we are trying our hardest to make the best of the situation. We still have moments of tears and frustrations but at the same time there are still smiles, occasional jokes and many tender moments.

In December of last year Caroline received an Award of Merit from the California State Genealogical Alliance. I am so proud of her and her accomplishments in this area. When the kids finished high school she took up the profession with a passion that only those who know her understand well. She became a well respected teacher and researcher. I can't tell you how many times I have spent some of our vacations in cemeteries, city halls and genealogy libraries. I have seen her drive into a strange town and leave two or three days later with several newly discovered gems of information and new friends and relatives forever after the experience. She can tell you off the top of her head all of the names of my and her relatives several generations back. I wouldn't trade these trips and memories for trips to more exotic destinations. I know my ancestors so much better because of these experiences. I have stood in the Cathedral in Canach, Luxembourg where the Robert family attended church before coming to America. (The final "t" was dropped when they came to America.) I have stood in the dirt of the Rober farm at Plymouth, Indiana where my grandfather who I knew was born. I have met Ernie Rightley who still lives on the farm property and heard many funny stories about all of the Rober children who were born there. I have had the same experiences with her on trips to help with her ancestors.

So with that background of what special times these genealogy trips will always have in my memories, here are the awards she received. I have also attached a picture of a humorous headstone we came across in Key West, Florida that I don't think will ever be topped in any visit I have to cemeteries in the future.

Thanks to all again for all your love and support.



2 comments:

  1. Well said dad! It's so nice for mom's accomplishments be published. I have thought this and told this to the kids the day we broke moms news to them. Mom, more than anybody, has more friends waiting on the other side than any of us will. What a blessing for mom to know she has such an army waiting for her on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... Genealogy, I am doing it, my Genealogyyyyyyyy...

    This makes me want to be better at Genealogy! What am I waiting for? You're awesome, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete