Sunday, January 30, 2011

The beginning of the end

I was completely taken by surprise when we had a light rain this morning. The weather seemed a fitting tribute to the mood of our home. It was somewhat somber but also incredibly peaceful for the first half of the day. My parents had a talk this morning and with my Dads blessing my Mom has decided no longer take any food or fluids.

Hospice came and gave her a catheter and we increased her medications to make her more comfortable. She can not be without her mask for more than a few minutes and we all agree that dehydration is a much more peaceful way to pass than waiting for her breathing to claim her - which is not far off.

This comfort care business is not easy. Her evenings are bad. When we finally got the right medications into her to make her comfortable they had been in long enough to cause nausea. Even with the comfort care nausea medications she threw up - which when you have no diaphragm strength is something like a small burp.

Thankfully we survived the evening and she is sleeping peacefully now after having received a blessing. Tomorrow she will be getting a morphine pump. My comfort care is coming in the form of my Aunt, the nurse, who will be here within the hour and staying with us and guiding my Mom through until the end.

While we have prepared ourselves for this point there is still a sense of disbelief when we find ourselves standing at the threshold. Tonight our hearts resonate with Hymn #128 - When Faith Endures

I will not doubt, I will not fear; God's love and strength are always near.
His promised gift helps me to find an inner strength and peace of mind.
I give the Father willingly my trust, my prayers, humility.
His spirit guides, his love assures that fear departs when faith endures.

11 comments:

  1. Please tell your family how much we love them! We don't go long without praying for you all! Thank you Caroline for your amazing example for faith, courage, and strength! I think about you all many times throughout the day! Please let us know if there is anything you need (that we can do from a distance)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you Caroline. We love you, Rober Family. Take our prayers and feel them near when you go through the next phase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My childhood is filled with so many sweet, happy memories and most of them include the Robers. We are sending our love all the way from North Carolina. We will be praying for you and your family! My favorite Caroline Rober moment: when Dusty, the cat, got ran over and she held a funeral for him. She read from the scriptures and made me feel better. With love, Robyn (Kelly) Gallagher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending my love to this family and to your mom. May she be blessed with comfort and may the family be comfortable during this trying time. There is a prayer in my heart at every moment of the day for Caroline, Lisa and all of you that I have never met.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our family is so sorry for the suffering that you all are going through. As a nurse I had the great priveledge of helping several children pass to the other side. It is never easy and is only made bearable by my knowledge of the atonement and by my love for our Savior. I love the Rober family and am so greatful that you have let my family feel a little bit like part of your family. You have all been such great examples to me. Thank you Caroline for being such a bright spot in my childhood memories where I have so many that aren't bright. I love you and am forever greatful just to have known you. I am looking forward to the otherside where we can all be together again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The week after my father-in-law passed away, we sang hymn 293 in relief society. If you have a moment, read it...
    My heart and prayers are with you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are all thinking of you and praying for you. Thank you for sharing your beautiful & faith building experiences with all of us. You are making us into better people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could offer more assistance but will pray for peace - for all of you! The world will loose a wonderful spirit, but we all look forward to seeing her again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please let her know how much we love her and look forward to seeing her again some day!

    All our love to you all,
    The artavia-high family

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for comfort for you Sis. Rober and your entire family. Your whole family has been so courageous during this trial and reading your story has reminded us all of our Heavenly Father's love for us and His eternal plan of happiness. We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very sorry for your familys loss.My prayers are with you. My husband has had ALS for almost 2 years now and we have a 6 year old daughter as well.So I will pray for you and your family for I know its hard.my love and prayers are with you.sincerely

    ReplyDelete