Sunday, January 9, 2011

Letters of Love - From John

A quick preface by Lisa: John is my husband who right now is driving back to Utah alone - again. He left behind this beautiful letter for my Moms blog. He has been the most amazing support for me during this trial. I cant even type this without tearing up at the selflessness he has displayed over the last few months. He has driven countless miles only to get here and watch all 3 boys full time so I can care for my Mom with my undivided attention. He has spent over a month doing his own laundry, cooking, cleaning, and caring for Caleb full time while working full time and trying to finish a very loooong honey-do-list I left behind. Not only has he not complained - he does it gladly with love. I am grateful for him and my love and appreciation have grown more than I could have imagined during this time.

When he walks in from being gone my Mom tears up as she tries in her own way to thank him for his sacrifice. I know she appreciates him more than she could express - even if she could express herself :) John has a special way with my Mom. He can tease her and she can not get mad at him for anything. Maybe that's because he gives her the best hand massages. She has always seen the best in him and I don't think I have ever heard my Mom say a negative thing about him. Her unconditional love and support have been a blessing and source of comfort for him.

Everyone tells me how wonderful they think it is that I'm here caring for my Mom but without John it would not be possible. He is the real hero and we are grateful for him.


Dear Mom,

I believe it was President Hinckley who talked about not being the weak link in the family and breaking the chain.

Lisa and I have talked a lot about how you did break the chain, only it wasn’t because you were the weak link, it was because you were strong. It’s pretty common knowledge that you had a tough childhood, but if it weren’t for you and your attitude toward the gospel & toward having a strong family, a bad chain may have never broken. Now it’s up to Lisa and I, Brian and Kate, Mark and Lisa, and all of our kids to take and use all of the good and positive things that you’ve taught through the years and pass it on to the generations that follow.

You’ve been a good link that broke a bad chain and you’ve been a strong link that began a new, good, strong chain and I’m proud to be a part of it. Thanks for being who you are to everyone around you and thanks for raising my wife to be the compassionate and loving person that she is.
I love you,
John




Is this not the most perfect picture of a stereotypical mother-in-law/son-in-law relationship!?!

:)

*Many people have sent wonderful letters of love to my Mom through my e-mail. I print them off and read them to her and tuck them in her special box where she has saved all of the letters and cards she has received since first getting sick. If you want to send my Mom a letter you can e-mail me at johnlisa02@gmail.com. It has been fun to sharing some letters from her family here on her blog. If you would like me to share your letter here on her blog please just let me know and I will post it for you.

2 comments:

  1. I love u john, u r an amazing man! I think of u as my son, I see u walking in my footsteps and u r a very compassionate man and a wonderful husband and father. Thank you for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so grateful for John being so willing to share Lisa and her boys with us here in California. He is a very caring and loving son in law. Thanks John! We love you.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete