Sunday, November 14, 2010

Feeding Tube

As you can see, I went into the UCI Hospital to get my feeding tube put in. Although this is a state of the art Medical and Research hospital, The beds are still not comfortable. If you know me well, you know I am almost always cold. Here at the hospital I can say I was actually hot. The surgeon was wonderful, the nursing staff overworked but nice. I can tell you that I thought I had died and woke up in hell. I lost 3 pounds while there for my 42 hour ordeal. You can't believe how thirsty I was! I didn't sleep the entire time I was there except for short snippets that left me sore and uncomfortable. I came home much more exhausted, thirsty and hungry than I went in.

I had wonderful support while there from Larry and Linda Howson (Larrys sister) Denny Howson and my dearest Sister Pam and my niece, Kelly. Linda wiped my eyes dry, Denny kept an eagle eye lookout while Larry smuggled in the contraband. Kelly gives the most Wonderful neck, back and legs and my sissy knows whats really going on.
I am so glad that's over. I got a great nights sleep (11 hours) and I'm finally no longer thirsty! Part of my swallowing problems and thick saliva was from being so dehydrated. I'm good to go now!

6 comments:

  1. Great photo! Glad you are home and that you feel better than before! (that's the whole point, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad all went well and that you are home and resting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thrilled you can say goodbye to being dehydrated. It was a privilege to be your chief eye wiper. Missing you immensely.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry we couldn't be there Mom. Dad called my work phone but I wasn't at work on Fri and didn't get the message. I'm glad things are better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you, glad you can be in your own bed now. And glad you were surrounded with loving helpers at the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry your stay was so uncomfortable but sounds like you had a wonderful support group on hand. Glad the surgery went well and hope you are more comfortable now.

    ReplyDelete