Friday, December 3, 2010

3 Dec 1894

Everyone who knows me, knows I'm a committed family historian and since today is the anniversary of my all time favorite grandma's birthday, I thought it fitting that I tell you something about her and me. Born Lucretia Huston in Mattoon, Illinois on the date above and struck by lightening at the age of 3. She lost her only sister (Hattie) to a tragic death in 1903, Hattie was only 13. At the age of 14 (1908) her father died, she married at 15 (1910), 1st child born 1918 (Uncle Walter), 2nd child born 9 mos later in 1919 (Uncle Jim), divorced 1st husband after falling in love with her 1sr cousin, John M. Taber. 1921 was a pivotal year for Lula, she lost her domineering mother to utern cancer, birthed her 3rd child (Uncle Don) and became interested in Spirtilualism. In 1923 she moved to St. Louis and started her phenomenal career as a Spiritualist
Medium then in 1924 she had her 4th son my Uncle Harold. Her fame grew and she started giving Materialization Seances. Her fame was in Spiritualist circles. She was kind, polite and loving to all she met! Everyone loved Rev. Lula Taber! In 1926 she finally gave birth to the daughter she had longed for, my mother, Gloria Lou Taber. I'm sure this was a surprise because she used to tell me all the time that although she was glad for a girl, she was very disappointed that Gloria wasn't born on Dec 3rd! Dec 3rd was Lula's birthday and Lula was born on her mother's 3oth birthday, Dec 3rd 1864 (Eliza) and Eliza was born on her mothers birthday of Dec. 3rd 1829 (Caroline Melissa Coleman). Yep, mom broke the chain and in more ways than one!
By the time I was born in 1952, Lula had reached her heyday in Spiritualism during the 1940's. She divorced her cousin due to cruel and unusual punishment and moved with her daughter to San Bernardino, CA. I was her 8th grandchild and at this time she weighted between 300 - 400 lbs. This was in direct correlation after being hit by lightening as she started growing larger at age 3 and was a very Fat and heavy woman all her life. I can't begin to count all the diets and gimmicks she tried to loose weight. Just remember she did everything in her life while weighing 200 - 300 lbs. Grma Lula was a very Spiritual person and she would tell me stories of Jesus from the Bible and we would talk of religion all the time. She is the person who built a testimony in me that we had a Heavenly Father who sent His only begotten Son to earth to atone us from our sins.

Happy Earth Birthday Grma, I have loved you all my earthly life and I look forward to a wonderful reunion with you in Heaven in the next little while!
This is me and my Grandma Lula and me at Christmas in 1952

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I love that last picture so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of you and your Grandma. Grandmas are great! Thank heaven we have them to pave the way in many things for us. Your gradnchildren are so fortunate, as are my kids, to have the benefit of your spirit in thieir lives. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline, I am so grateful that we had our special visit that wonderful day at the Family History Library. My goodness it was good to see you, and to meet at the Library (one of my favorite places on earth) made it so appropriate. The many years passed so quickly and I wondered if I would recognize you, but not to worry, you had that same lovable smile and personality. We think of you and pray for you. May the sweet spirit of Christmas comfort you.

    Love,
    Luan and Richard Hixson

    Beautiful Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, my name is Francisco, do you have any pictures of materializations? or other physical phenomena Lula Taber?

    You have a good day.

    ReplyDelete