Sunday, December 19, 2010

Leaving her mark

I wanted to share a real quick story that made me smile in the last few weeks. At our church building the women's restroom was decorated with flowers, decorations, and nice smelling soaps by someone. On the mirror there is a little sign that says something along the lines of "done lovingly for our sisters." Ive seen that sign many times when I have come home and thought how nice and thoughtful that was of someone.

And then while standing there waiting for one of my boys I noticed for the first time something that took my breath away. On the bottom of that sign someone had taken the time to write back, "Thank you. We appreciate it." I knew that writing,

I miss that handwriting.

My Moms right hand in the last few days has lost so much strength that she no longer can write legibly. I loved my Moms handwriting. It was always perfect and so consistent - something that my handwriting's definitely lacks. Its funny how something like a signature becomes so special. I cringe when I think of birthday cards in the past I have thrown away. How I wish I could get them back now. I will cherish the cards and letters I do have that she has signed in that personalized handwriting that is uniquely my Moms.

How many times have I gone into that bathroom and thought that it was nice of someone to do that but never did anything to convey my thanks. My Mom took the time to express it and I love that about her. If find yourself in that bathroom and see that sign in the future you can look at the writing on that sign and remember my Mom. Remember that she took the time to express her thanks.

I hope it will make you smile too.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, love what a persons handwriting conveys and I know exactly what you mean by your moms. She is a polished, bright spark and her handwriting definately conveys that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, thank for your last message. With my Christmas decorations, I have stored cards from my mom, grand mom, etc....all in heaven now...but like you said, it is heartwarming to see their signature and know that they truly were here...God bless you....give your mom and dad a hug from Karen and Joel. warm hugs, Karen Mascitelli...still can't figure out how to do this without being anonymous.

    ReplyDelete