Sunday, October 10, 2010

Thick it

My swallowing is not good with thin liquids, in fact I choke almost every time I drink water! I used to drink about a gallon of water a day, simply because I love water, but since I got sick, I'm lucky to get a small water bottle down!

I have always taken pills by throwing them into the back of my throat and then guzzling water to wash them down, my record was 10 pills at one time, but no more! I was struggling to get down 1 pill at a time and choking every time I took a pill. This is not fun.

Then Larry bought me "Thick-It". At first I told him I don't need that yet. But he asked nicely if I wouldn't try it in some water. So I did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To my surprise it really has no taste and no gritty granules. It just made the water the perfect consistency for me to be able to swallow! Now I am a believer in this stuff, and I won't leave home with out it!

At today's assessment here is how I stand: My left hand continues to loose mobility every day a little bit, it is atrophying or clenching up on me and frustrates me when pulling up my pants.
I still can eat everything under the sun, but I'm slower at eating and sometimes I have to hold a napkin over my mouth because it seems like my tongue doesn't move the food around correctly. My legs still work well and so does my right hand, that is how I'm typing this blog. My speech has plateaued, but at night, when I get tired, I slur more. My end take on life right now it: Its GREAT!

4 comments:

  1. The gift I receive from your blog: perspective. Thanks for that!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want some thick it to put in Beckhams cup so he cant make quite the mess when he dumps it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know there is probably not going to be many posts about physical updates that have you reverting back to normal. Despite that, you are so positive and we appreciate the updates.

    ReplyDelete