Saturday, October 23, 2010

How to swallow without choking

I have been to a few swallowing clinics. I have taken the Barium swallow test and failed, sort of. Bottom line, I was chocking quite a bit! Not fun and very scary, especially taking pills. Being the analytical person I can sometimes be, I started noticing the nuances of swallowing.

I realized that as you swallow down your throat, there are 2 ways for food and water 2 go, my tongue no longer works to guide stuff down into the right pipe, so I end up choking.

So I realized that if I just slightly tilt my head left as I take a drink or swallow a pill, it always goes down into the stomach instead of my lungs. How come none of the Dr.s ever told me THAT! I haven't chocked in over a week!

I mean I keep my head level, don't throw my head back, and ever so slightly I tilt my head toward my left shoulder and take a drink. It works like a charm, for now.

3 comments:

  1. we miss you from john family and of course our little princess michaela and shes enjoying more in the primary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline,

    I'll be praying for you and your family through this journey. I've always enjoyed your joyful spirit.

    Laureen Primmer (Tywoniuk)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you were able to figure out a way that works. Hope it continues!

    ReplyDelete