Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Decision Time

We have decided to make ALS a part of our lives instead of our whole life! That being said, we are on our way to San Luis Obispo to celebrate our grandson Briggs' 7 th birthday. I will miss a week at the Orange Family History Center where I volunteer, but that's OK, Family comes 1st!

At this time the only vacillations (Movement under the skin) I see are in my tongue. I have the most trouble with mucus draining down my throat and swallowing pills. My left thumb and index fingers are useless, but I still have use of my arm muscles so I can compensate.

Now let me tell you what still works! My legs, my right arm, eating food and swallowing it, and of course my mind!

The one thing that comes and goes is my speech! The Dr. gave me a pill that is known to help Myesthenia Gravis called NEELANTHA but I have the generic brand called PYRIDOSTIGM and I think that helps with my speech a lot. I'm lucky the Dr, tried it on me!

5 comments:

  1. Have fun and I'm glad so much of you still works! What a blessing it was your left hand first and not your right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great that you are able to focus on what still works! It's a great attitude to have. Have a wonderful time on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caroline,
    I just spoke with Lisa today and she told me about your ALS. I'm glad to find your blog and get to read your story. You are an amazing woman, thanks for sharing your strength. Love, Rachel (Henderson) Hardy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your positive attitude is very uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mom. Very inspiring to see you make that decision.

    ReplyDelete