Wednesday, February 23, 2011

President Burnett's Funeral Remarks

We have been blessed by the Spirit this hour as we have celebrated the beautiful life of Caroline Rober.

As a stake presidency we extend our love, testimony and prayers to all of Caroline’s family here today. We unite with all those who are here today in our love for her. There are angels here on this earth – truly, Caroline was one of them. A choice daughter of God. An elect lady.

I am grateful to add my testimony to those who have already done so today in word and song. I might also add there is a touching video tribute to Caroline on her blog-spot prepared by her children. You should all look at it when you return home. It will brighten your day and lift your spirit.

On the video there is a picture of Larry, Caroline, Mark, Brian and Lisa, all dressed in white; followed by a picture of the Los Angeles Temple. I bear my witness that you are an eternal family, sealed together through the power of the Holy Priesthood for time and all eternity.

I also testify that Caroline, thru Priesthood authority, was set free from the pains of this mortal existence. Speaking of this departure from mortality, Brigham Young, a prophet of God once said (Journal of discourses, BY, 17:142) “… My spirit is set free, I thirst no more, I want to sleep no more, I hunger no more, I tire no more, I run, I walk… nothing like pain or weariness. I am full of life, full of vigor, and I enjoy the presence of my Heavenly Father, by the power of his spirit.”

As I reflect on Caroline’s life, the following scripture comes to mind: (Moroni 7:46)
“But Charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; And whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, It shall be well with him.”
And so it was with Caroline – possessed with the pure love of Christ at the last day. All is well.

Less than 24 hours after word of Caroline’s passing I was in the celestial room of the temple, pondering her life. I had a distinct impression come to me, “Tell them I’m OK. Tell them I’m fine.“

I told her a few weeks ago not to worry. That throughout this process of passing she would never be alone. DC 84:88 “… for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up. Many of you here today were those angels.

Some would ask, WHY? – but not Caroline. She understood.

In one of her last testimonies, read from the pulpit by her daughter Lisa when Larry was released as Bishop, she said, “No one on earth will ever be taken home to our Father in Heaven unless they have finished the work they were supposed to do and learned the lessons they need for eternal progression. I am at peace…”

Joseph Fielding Smith, a prophet of God, answered the question in a similar way: “May I say for the consolation of those who mourn, and for the comfort and guidance of all of us, that no righteous person is ever taken before their time. In the case of the faithful saints, they are simply transferred to other fields of labor. The Lord’s work goes on in this life, in the world of spirits and in the kingdoms of glory where we go after the resurrection.”

I bear testimony that it was Caroline’s time. She was a righteous soul and one of the faithful saints. And I like the word transferred. Is there any question that Caroline is working on family history in the world of spirits. She has been transferred to another field of labor. What better person to work with those who have passed on than Caroline. She may help the same person whose work she completed on this side of the veil accept that work on the other side.
I, like all of you, have been touched by Caroline’s kindness, faithfulness and her happy and infectious Spirit. She demonstrated uncommon courage throughout this difficult experience. While we were trying to bless her she ended up blessing us. She truly had received His image in her countenance, and the light of Christ shone in her eyes.

The words of the hymn, pg. 293, Each Life that touches Ours for Good, express my feelings for Caroline’s influence of good on us all:

1. Each life that touches ours for good reflects thine own great mercy, Lord; thou sendest blessings from above through words and deeds of those who love.

2. What greater gift doest Thou bestow, what greater goodness can we know than Christ-like friends, whose gentle ways strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

3. When such a friend from us departs, we hold forever in our hearts a sweet and hallowed memory, bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

I will forever hold in my heart Caroline’s hallowed memory as she has brought me closer to the Lord. Perhaps the best way we can remember Caroline is to become a little more Christ-like in our own lives. Keep the commandments. Serve the Master. Love our families. Lift and bless others. And let’s not forget to do our genealogy!

The scriptures remind us of the importance of remembering. May we always remember the words of Caroline in one of her final testimonies: “No one knows what this life will throw at them, all we can do is to choose the better way and do the best we can. I know from personal experience that if you let the Lord govern your life and trust in Him with all your heart, soul and mind you will never fear when life throws you a curve ball.”

Throughout her trial Caroline never showed fear or doubt; only trust and faith. May we do likewise, AND as Caroline did, “choose the better way” – which of course is Jesus Christ and the plan of happiness. In that same testimony Caroline said, “The wonderful Primary leaders and the adorable and handsome children that came to our house…brightened my life with their love and songs. I love Primary. The children have always helped me to keep things in perspective.”

I believe the words of this primary song reflect the thoughts of her final testimonies:

I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I know who I am.
I know God’s plan.
I’ll follow him in faith.
I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ.
I’ll honor his name.
I’ll do what is right;
I’ll follow his light.
His truth I will proclaim.

Obedience, faith, testimony – even to the very end. God be thanked for the life of Caroline Rober.

To the Rober family (and to all of us here today) I say to you the final words I spoke to our dear Caroline just a few hours before her transfer home. As I held her hand and gently kissed her forehead I simply said: “I love you. God be with you til we meet again.”

I add my sure witness confirmed by the Holy Spirit that you will meet Caroline again in the Royal Courts on high, reunited in love and sealed together as an eternal family. This is brought about through the atonement of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Redeemer. I know this to be true. I have no doubts. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

President Randy Burnett
Stake President, Placentia Stake

No comments:

Post a Comment